Monday, February 11, 2008

A New Beginning?

Well, after creating this blog some time ago, with the intention of never using it, I think I may have changed my mind. I have no idea how many times I've decided to try writing and then never come back to it, but whatever. We'll see how it goes.

So, introduction. I'm James Cash, EngSci 1T1 at ye olde University of Toronto. I like programming. Alot. Especially in obscure languages. Currently, I'm using Common Lisp mostly, but I'll probably end up using Python in the job I'm hoping to get. My friend David Wolever hooked me up with Greg Wilson, who is quite a nice guy. High hopes there. As long as I don't have to use C++, I'm happy. Quite frankly though, the notion that someone would pay me to program boggles the mind, so I'll be glad regardless.

So, Common Lisp...obvious, I'm also a big fan of Emacs (both of those can be traced back to my reading of Steve Yegge). I used to use Scheme a fair bit, mostly Gambit Scheme, but moved to Common Lisp when I realized that it's alot more fun to write programs than libraries. I've played around with Haskell, which was tons of fun, quite beautiful, but I do enjoy dynamic typing so. Currently, I'm playing around with implementing Knuth's Algorithm X in CL, which is fun, albeit a bit of a challenge. Planning to make a sudoku solver out of that when it's complete.

I bought the Dragon Book a while ago, but haven't been able to get very far in it (EngSci does not lend itself very well to hobbies). I very much enjoy writing parsers, so I'm planning on writing some sort of compiler after I finish with the Algorithm X dealie. Thinking of doing the front-end it OCaml, which is fun to write parsers in, maybe back-end in Lisp. Probably try to write an ECMAScript 4 to (Assembly | Some sort of bytecode). Which reminds me, I need to read up on Parrot or JVM bytecode. Thank Cthulhu for reading week...

Well, there's a brief introduction, to the no-one who will read this. Hopefully I'll actually update this. Thanks for reading!

No comments: